Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckles with Rod Sides

To: "Wayne Kline" <w3ea@hotmail.com>, "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>, <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckles with Rod Sides
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:25:12 -0400
I’m sorry to learn that Tonno lost his tower and incredible  8 x 5 L array.
It’s terrible that it happened when it was so easily preventable!

For each of my tower guys, I always cut them so that each guy has an extra 5 ‘
– 10’ of 1/4” EHS left over, and then, rather than cut off the excess, I simply
run the extra through both ends of all the turnbuckles and then through all the
bolts on the equalizer plate.

It doesn’t make any sense to allow the turnbuckles to potentially turn and undo
themselves and thereby jeopardize the tower.  I even use ice clips for the same
reason on every guy wire – to potentially prevent yet another mode of failure –
especially one that is so prevalent at my qth.

73

Bob  KQ2M