Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weatherproofing connectors visited.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 20:47:13 -0400
Reliable, cheap, readily available, and works for properly installed UHF connectors.  I use Copper split nuts to attach antennas, feed lines, chokes, and end insulators. Coat them with Vaseline and they will stay pristine under all the dirt that collects. We are only a few miles from farming country so the dust really builds up on grease.  When I lived on the farm the build up was extreme.   Sometimes the old is still the best way.

OTOH the flooded, industrial heat shrink adds a great deal of strength.  It's also likely the most difficult to remove.  OTOH if you lose the end of the tape it can be a royal PITA to remove. I replaced a splice in the coax from the AV640 to the new run of BuryFlex(TM) (which we put in last spring), today. I'd been trying to get around to do that all summer.  I'm very good at procrastinating and the Arthritis has improved that ability!

With only one hand working well, I had to enlist the aid of my wife (N8JBW) to make the change. We don't really work well together on mechanical things. The 20/5.6 mm MMM flooded heat shrink tubing wall is quite thick when shrunk to RG-8 size cables. It's also very tough!  It takes a lot of repeated little short cuts to split it down to the connectors and coax jacket while taking care not to cut into the coax jacket. That requires a sharp pointed box cutter blade.

  We taped the splice to be removed to the mast on which the vertical is mounted. Then once split we used a pair of regular pliers to break that MMM loose from the connectors and coax. It was a whole lot easier and faster with both hands working and just me. :-(The end of the BuryFlex had a UHF (PL259) crimp connector already installed that had been taped to keep the weather out, which is what reminded me of losing the tape end. It probably would have been easier had I heated the old heat shrink first even though it was near 80F outside.  Near 80 on the 8th of October in Michigan! When I first became a ham in 61 we would have been having freezing temps at night with 8 to 10 inches of snow only a week to 10 days away.  We haven't even had a frost warning yet this fall.

73,

Roger (K8RI)