Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25g unguyed height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25g unguyed height
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:59:35 -0400
I am far from an expert but every bracketed Rohn 25G tower I have climbed (several) wobbled in the joints above the top bracket. The one that I took down showed major elongation of holes in the joint that was above the top bracket.

I once installed a guyed 25G tower with guys near the top of the next to last section. It only had a large VHF vertical on top but was in a very windy location. After two years the bolt holes at the one joint above the guys were worn so much I had to replace the top two sections.

I know Rohn gave the OK to bracketed installations for many years (maybe still does) but personally I will never again put even one section joint above the uppermost bracket or guys.

Paul