[TowerTalk] Conduit in trench

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Conduit in trench
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:00:24 -0800
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 22:02:49 +0000
From: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Cc: "n4tz@arrl.net" <n4tz@arrl.net>

<I am trying to join sections of 2 inch (nominal) PVC conduit for burial in a
trench.
<This is schedule 40  ELECTRICAL CONDUIT, not water or drain pipe.
<I cannot get the sections to mate.  The belled portion of the conduit
<is too snug on the main body.  Even with the proper primer and
<cement, it is so snug that I cannot manhandle two pieces together,
<much less dozens!
<I found that the sweeps I  bought would go on with some difficulty.
<The short couplers, about 3 inches long will fit, but give very little
<overlap, only about an inch if fully seated.
<I notice that the electrical drops down the power poles around
<here have  the same PVC conduit, but instead of using the
<built-in bell ends, the crews apparently just use the short couplers
<on the straight end ( I guess they cut off the bells?).
<I am worried that the short couplers may not provide adequate
<strength when the conduit is   stressed to drop in  into the trench.
<Any experience?

<Terry N4TZ

##  How long are the sections of the electrical pvc conduit ?    The
electrical conduit
down at my local home depot is grey in color, and  comes in 10 ft sections with
the flared
bell at one end.   They have it in every size from .5 inch id...  up to 2,.0
inch id.   All sched 40.
I have found that it dry fits just fine.. that is before  any primer or glue
applied.

##  You may well have a bad batch of 2 inch electrical conduit, if it fits that
tight, even with primer and
glue applied.   It should dry fit just fine, b4 anything is applied.   Its
almost like your bell flared ends have
way too much taper to them, restricting the insertion.    Im suggesting it may
well be a  manufacturing defect.

Jim  VE7RF