Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?

To: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?
From: Dick's <rcblumen@centurylink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:52:32 -0500
The design drawings call for a rectangular hole with a rectangular rebar cage.
An 87” dia hole will be a LOT larger and greatly increase your volume of
expensive concrete. I just finished my tower foundation with a back hoe that is
very similar to your project. One can make a fairly decent hole with a backhoe
and a helper to help guide the operator. Also, what are you going to do at the
top; have a round or rectangular edge?

Finally, if you are going to have to pull a permit and not do it according to
the engineering drawings, you might have a tough time with a county/city
inspector who won’t understand why you deviated from the instructions.

Feel free to check out project I finished in our monthly newsletters starting
with Aug 2017 at:

http://n4lnr.org/newsletters/

Dick, K0CAT
      ———