Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe

To: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:21:44 +0000
Pulling House AC power through conduit likely subjects you to code
requirements, like burial of at least 18 inches. If this is not “house
power” you should be good.

If your are CERTAIN that the conduit is intact, just tie the new cable on
to the end of the old with some sturdy cord or mule tape appropriately
knotted, wrap it securely with electrical tape, at least a foot on the old
and the new, squirt a good gob of lube in before this “capsule” and pull
away. For a straight run, you’re not likely to need mechanical help.
Position someone at the feed end to alert you of kinks or other problems
and pull away!

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> 28 years ago I buried a 1.5 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe in the ground and
> ran some low loss coax and a three wire electrical control cable (14-2
> house wiring cable).  The 14-2 is used to operate a remotely control
> phasing box for my 80 meter four square.  The coax feeds either my 160
> vertical or the 80M array.
>
> Well it’s time to replace the coax.  The PVC pipe is 250 feet long and in
> a straight line(thankfully).  I suspect I will have to pull both cables
> with the new cables tied to the end.  I’ve never done this before and could
> use a little advice.  I googled but most of what I found started with empty
> pipe and ran a “string mouse” through with a shopvac. When I installed the
> cables initially, I laid them out on the ground and slipped the pipe over
> them ten feet at a time. Fortunately, there is a fair amount of room left
> in the pipe.  The two cables did not fill up the space entirely.
>
> My first question is if there is some sort of lubricant I should use to
> reduce friction?
>
> That’s also my last question, but I know there must be several things to
> consider I am betting that this group has the answers. I have a come-along,
> a tractor, and a fair amount of tools.  I’m just not sure how to proceed.
>
> I am eager to see what you all have to say.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave, K4TO

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.