Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:04:20 -0800
On 1/29/18 10:08 AM, Gary Schafer wrote:
I have an electrician friend that will not pull romex in conduit. He always
uses single multi stranded wires instead. He says they are much easier to
pull than romex that is less flexible.

It's not that romex is less flexible (a 14/2 romex is pretty flexible compared to a single AWG10) - it's that it's not round, and if it twists, those twists can grab/hangup other stuff.

I fully agree - much easier to pull separate conductors - romex (NM) isn't needed in conduit anyway - it's a way to get "two layers of mechanical barrier" for wiring inside walls

Consider running a couple of runs of cat5 cables for your control lines.
Plenty of pairs to work with. I also ran a couple of #12 stranded wires for
the rotor motor.

Stranded or solid is sort of your choice - I have found that solid is easier to pull - I think it's because of residual twist in the wire coming off the spool is less for solid than for stranded. But I've not pulled enough stranded to be sure.

I've pulled LOTS of Cat 5 - one thing to watch out for is that it is "stretchier" than AWG12 solid. I lay all the stuff I'm going pull out straight on the ground so that it can pull together and easily.