Re: [TowerTalk] Guy anchors for AB-577

To: Andre VanWyk <nj0f@yahoo.com>, John Langdon <jlangdon1@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy anchors for AB-577
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 21:16:20 +0000 (UTC)
Hello-   The Hubble (old AB Chance Co.) "triple eye" screw anchor can be fitted
with a pair of equalizer plates by passing a bolt through the eye and plates.
Please see pictures of this, of which I did using the heavy-duty screw anchors
and equalizer plates, on my QRZ.com page under W5FH.   Actually, AB Chance has
an extension rod that attaches to the triple eye using a 1" bolt through the
triple eye. This told me the acceptability of that idea with equalizer plates.
The particular augers I am speaking of have either a single 10" or 12" auger
and have 1.25" OD x 8' long high strength rods with triple eye.   I obtained an
engineering write-up from Hubble regarding the suitability about using a 1"
A-325 structural steel bolt through the triple eye to connect a pair of
equalizer plates, just as shown in my pictures. I described to them how I
intended to file down the ridges that form sections of triple eye. These ridges
in no way affect the strength of triple eye, I did not want the 1" bolt to bear
on the ridges.   One consideration about using the triple eye with a pair of
equalizer plates is that the triple eye is fairly wide, forcing a separation of
several inches between equalizer plates. I used 5/8" eye-eye turnbuckles and
bought heavy thick hot dipped galvanized washers to keep turnbuckle eye
centered between the plates. These are called dock washers. I used 5/8" A-325
structural steel bolts through the equalizer plates for the turnbuckle eyes.
I used the 12" auger in my concrete guy anchors, there are pictures of the
rebar cages and layout before pouring concrete. I am also using the 10" augers
screwed into the ground on another tower. Both augers have the 1.25" x 8' high
strength rod with triple eye. The 10" ones have not moved any at all in over 2
years now on a 110' tower. Byron W5FH