Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:24:26 -0800
On 3/6/2018 1:57 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I have OptiBeam 40m antennas and when playing with a model, adding an
element really did very little. I do not recall the details but I think
some things like SWR bandwidth were even worse. You are probably better
off using the aluminum to make a Moxon

I agree. In general, for an optimized design, gain in a Yagi is largely related to boom length. To benefit from a third element, it would probably be necessary to lengthen the boom. AND -- I wouldn't expect more than a dB or so for a build-able (and stay-up-able) antenna. :)

73, Jim K9YC