Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 16:35:34 -0800
Kostas,

As others have said, it is all about boom length with 3 elements. I built a W6NL Moxon (scratch design) and have a custom 3L full size 40m on a 48' boom. Moxon is at 92', 3L at 140'. Needless to say, the 3L is a mighty "flamethrower" vs the Moxon, hardly a sensible comparison, height, boom length, extra element. F/B and F/S with the 3L is quite a bit better, listening A/B. My Moxon is a very good antenna, the full size 3 element is a great antenna. In some contests the Moxon covers the USA and the 3L is pointed at the DX opening.

From what you have, building the strengthened K3LR version of the W6NL Cushcraft/Moxon is a straightforward and proven way to get a very good antenna.

Grant KZ1W