[TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in Pers

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in Perspective
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 12:15:54 -0700
It is probable that many hams have purchased and used one or more MFJ products
since its inception.

I've personally purchased a number of MFJ over the years as well as products
from MFJ acquired companies, (for example) MFJ-HyGain. I have never experienced
a problem with any new MFJ product or part purchased and used, none.

Support is an important aspect of buying a product. When I recently was given a
MFJ product, well used, from another ham, I found a switch which had been
damaged and unique enough that I could not replace it from local inventory. As
well, over time I've had to replace a few items that broke on my old original
TH7DX (it has to be one of the first produced by the original HyGain facility
in Lincoln NE).

I found the MFJ staff to be responsive and helpful, and the price of their
replacement parts to be quite fair. In fact, their shipping charges were far
less than I've been gouged by others in the ham market shipping similar
size/weights from similar distances.

A while back I had a question about the 15 M traps on the old TH7, why did the
DE have different PN's than the R when they appeared to be physically
identical. The tech who responded was forthright, provided the reason, and
provided additional general info on the traps which was useful (which I
appreciated). In another instance, where my little brain just did not
understand a particular instruction on a product, the responding tech took the
time to address it and in a manner that solved the problem.

I don't expect a lower priced product to meet all the exacting construction
standards set by Yaesu (I've 4), Kenwood and others producing costly products,
but I do expect them to work as advertised. For the items I’ve purchased from
MFJ, that standard has always been met.

I appreciate knowing about issues with products that others encounter via
Towertalk and other sites, but I find it difficult to believe that the majority
of people who work at MFJ (or other companies) ‘don’t care’. That just is not a
personal trait of most working people I’ve ever encountered or worked with.
Perhaps, if each of us, when we encounter a problem that seems systemic of a
process or personnel issue at MFJ wrote a personal letter to Martin, it might
help more than just expressing a personal bad experience on-line in a manner
that denigrates a whole company.  They fill a niche as has been stated by many
on this forum.

Jut my two cents.

Don W7WLL