Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in

To: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues: Let's Put MFJ in Perspective
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 20:35:13 -0400
Hi Don,

I am glad that you had a good experience with MFJ.  Unfortunately, most people
have not.  And the more times that you buy from them, the less likely that you
will continue to be happy with them.  The rest of this post is not directed at
you – it is directed at MFJ, a company that I have not purchased anything from
in many years.

I feel that is it important to share my experiences with four different
purchases – two of them quite large and two for large orders of replacement and
additional parts, over a period of three years.

First, no matter what the item costs, the COMPANY sets the price. That means
that they should have already factored in their costs for materials, design,
manufacture, labor, marketing, sales, billing, shipping, service, etc.  If they
haven’t done a good job with figuring that out and pricing it properly then
it’s their own fault.  They do NOT have the right to make YOU as a purchaser in
good faith,  a victim of THEIR own shortcomings.

This means that:

Holes should line up
No items are broken
No items are missing
There isn’t grease or other gunk on the parts that you ordered
Telescoped Element tubing should fit snugly
Element tubing is the CORRECT length
Assembly Instructions are included
Bolts and other hardware are properly made so that they fit and bolt the
intended parts without you having to file down, drill or otherwise reshape them.

When you call to tell them what is missing, broken or misshapen, someone should
pay attention and assist you; not put you on hold forever and ignore you.

When you fax or email the details to them, someone should respond and
acknowledge it and then follow up (yeah right!) to let you know when the
replacements will be shipped or provide an explanation for what can’t be
shipped and why.

When you don’t get a response to that email/fax, or the wrong items are sent,
and you fax or email again and this time request the sales manager, he/she
should promptly respond and help you.

When you speak with the Engineer who oversaw the making of the parts that are
badly mis-drilled, he should not tell you that are mistaken and are simply
putting it together improperly.

When your next request for service is ignored, (because the Engineer was worse
than useless) and you ask for Martin Jue, someone should contact him and not
tell you that he is unavailable to speak with customers.

When you FINALLY speak with Mr. Jue, he should pay attention, be apologetic for
the staff and quality problems he is aware of but has repeatedly failed to
address, and then assist you personally to ensure that you immediately get what
you need because of the 6 weeks wasted with all the above-mentioned stupidity.

I could go on but you get the idea.

NONE of this has anything to do with price points, low quality vs. high quality
or anything else.

This is about systemic INDIFFERENCE, INCOMPETENCE and NO sense of personal
responsibility or accountability.  This is about who you are as a person.

I founded and ran two corporations.  NONE of this would have been tolerated.
If my employees were too incompetent to make things properly and/or check to
ensure that orders were complete before being sent out, I would have fired them
and then I would have personally made and sent out the damned things myself.
And if I couldn’t find competent employees with a good attitude, then I would
have relocated my facility to a place where I could find the personnel that I
needed.  That’s what RESPONSIBLE people do!

All of these are choices that Mr. Jue made or didn’t make over time.  ALL OF
THIS is about the attitude of the employees and his abdication of his
responsibility as owner to make sure that everything runs properly and
customers cheerfully and promptly get what they pay for.  And this is true
REGARDLESS of what MFJ is charging for anything.  Price is NEVER an excuse for
being lazy or doing things sloppily and with a bad attitude.

73

Bob  KQ2M