Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??

To: <john@kk9a.com>, 'Andre VanWyk' <nj0f@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??
From: Timothy Coker via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:28:50 +0000 (UTC)
John, remember that he has an existing concrete base that requires a certain
model tower that only US Towers will sell to him new (or their distributors).
He can’t go buy a Tashjian model unless he wants to go down the road of
excavating and putting in a new base.
The insurance agency is liability driven... what that meant in my case was that
we looked at both repair and replacement options. My adjuster wasn’t even
considering finding someone’s used tower and then insuring that the used one
would absolutely not fall down to possibly hurt someone(s) or property. Imagine
that payout scenario...
She consistently reminded me of this when we went down the road of repairs
even... it’s not like they have a huge network of certified firms that
specialize in radio towers who will come out and economically make repairs with
a guarantee. They have that with auto and such, but not this apparently.
So at the end of the day the replacement policy did exactly that... it replaced
the tower and all related tower components with new items. Luckily I didn’t
have any antenna damage and so we only needed to include take down and install
labor costs for the antennas.
In Dick’s scenario he’d have damaged everything on his hands. It’s a lot of
money to do things through their processes.
Again, when Dick laid out the after scenario with crews coming in and taking
down / putting up while the home owner sat back... that’s what the insurance
company pays for, just like a dented Corolla having the door replaced instead
of the dent sucked out using a tool from Autozone by the owner.
It’s a process for sure and one that surprised me when looking back at my
budget from installing the tower... but then I didn’t charge myself for any
labor back then and so didn’t a few of my friends. My adjusted laughed at me
and reminded me that’s why I’m insured as I couldn’t have done this myself as
easily or quickly now that it’s been many years.
73,
Tim / N6WIN.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone