Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Lengths for Stacked Yagis

To: "'Wayne Kline'" <w3ea@hotmail.com>, "'Wes Stewart'" <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Lengths for Stacked Yagis
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 22:11:34 -0400
W3EA is on point and very correct.

I remember reading K1EA's advice about odd quarter wavelengths of cable in a
YCCC Butt articles in the late 70s and early 80s.

I have used Ken's advice ever since. Stacking 2, 3 or 4 Yagi's with great
results since 1981. The models back up his recommendation - good engineering
practice.

Using a Monostacker relay switch design (as published in the NCJ by K3LR and
K3LC many years ago) at K3LR on all bands using coax quarter wavelength
sections to provide the matching transformers for 2, 3 or 4 Yagi's being fed
in a stack (no ferrite transformers). These are single band stacking systems
using good quality open frame relays (hot switching traps are EASY to
achieve inside the shack - no failures here). There are 10 combinations of
stacking or individual Yagi's (4 high) - with perfect matching (OWA feeds)
no matter what combination is selected - the exact same length of coax from
loads to the amplifiers. That means the amplifier never sees an odd multiple
change - which would rotate on the Smith chart and cause retuning of the
amplifier.

73,
Tim K3LR