[TowerTalk] Alumo Weld Wire For F12 Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alumo Weld Wire For F12 Antennas
From: Russ Dearmore via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 17:43:31 +0000 (UTC)
I'm passing on my communication with Tom about the possibility of using
galvanized aluminum plated electric fence wire for linear loading of F12 40M
antennas.  Thanks to all my new friends that helped me get the 240N radiating
like a Star Wars blaster... Hi

Russ,
Glad you have it working.
The wire is aluminum clad steel, not galvanized and it very difficult to find
these days. You can replace it with copper clad. Clad wire is a very thick coat
of the conductor, as compared to plated, which isn't thick enough for the skin
depth needed at HF. If plated is used, the RF penetrates into the steel core,
which is very lossy.
I am making coil replacements for the linear loaded elements if you ever decide
to change it out.
Enjoy the antenna and 73,  Tom N6BT