Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized winch for a crank up tower.

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com, gregg.w6izt1@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized winch for a crank up tower.
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 21:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
In the past I bought a worm gear winch that I think was a Ramsey. I bought it
from Northern Tool and Supply or something like that in the midwest. I still
get their catalogs. It was only about $1200 for the 8000 pound winch and works
great. I used it on my combination Rohn 45 and 25 tower to raise and lowing it.
Mind you this type of winch is not recommended for overhead lifting but it
handles my 50' of Rohn 45 with 50' of Rohn 25 tower 'home brew' combination at
about 930 pounds of weight just fine. A little intimidating raising and
lowering it with the 15' pipe ginpole arrangement but it has always held
whatever load I put on it. You can see a picture of it on my QRZ page. I'll
check to make sure that is still true just to be sure. But I could not complain
about what I got for the price.

I now have another tower but plan on putting up my Rohn 45/25 tower as soon as
I can. Plan on another BIG Quad Array for it. The tilt up, crank up seemed to
work pretty well as long as I didn't try to go over about 78-80'. Outside tower
with bolt heads on the inside and inner tower with bolt heads facing in. Bolt
heads catching was where I would sometimes need to yank on the upper guy wires
to clear a hang. Used a good size hand crank winch to raise the inner section.

Oh, with this type of winch it cost me about $500 locally to get a custom mount
made because it is designed to be like on a wreaker mounted between the truck
frame rails. This time I have three sections of Rohn 55 to build the ginpole.

Terry
KI7M