Re: [TowerTalk] Poly rod, Fiber glass rod, Fiber Protrusion rod tension?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Poly rod, Fiber glass rod, Fiber Protrusion rod tension?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 11:54:22 -0700
I think the idea in different tensions vs height is to generate the same horizontal restraining force since that changes with the cosine of the guy angle with the ground. i.e a horizontal guy (zero deg) provides 100% of its tension horizontally to the tower, and a vertical guy (90 deg to ground) zero force.

To stay < 10% of break strength, larger guy diameters are used for upper guys and need to be stronger since it takes more ultimate strength to restrain the tower from sway. The amount of strain (stretch) with high wind forces increases the sway so larger guys stretch less per pound of tension. (see the K7NV finite element analysis) btw EHS from what I've read, even though very high yield strength, does start to stretch permanently at about 60% of break strength. So that is the "normal" limit of allowable tension. While stretch is only a few percent of length when stressed that high, that can change the initial tension. After a max wind "event" it is probably smart to check tensions.

So with that in mind, I think the correct tension is what is specified for each guy level by the tower manufacturer, independent of the strength of the guy. My considerably oversized guys (1/2" Phillystran, 25k# break) were specified by the PE at near normal Rohn pretension levels. Another limiting factor is the compression yield strength of the tower sections. The bottom section has the weight of all the metal above plus the vertical component of the sum of all guy forces from every guy level.

So if your polyrod break specs are the same or better than 5/16 EHS all is well, follow what Rohn specifies for pretension. One small difference might be the pretension stretch vs EHS, which is very low. Anyway, by tensioning to the Rohn spec that initial stretch is removed.

Since you have a dynamometer, leave the Loos gauge in the toolbox.

Grant KZ1W