Re: [TowerTalk] SO2R or Multiop Contesting without

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SO2R or Multiop Contesting without
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 17:34:44 -0700
On 5/29/18 1:50 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
By using monobanders the out of band signal is reduced by the antenna, for
example, the 15m beam does not receive a 20m TX well. Even closely spaced
monobanders have this "pre-filter". Using tribanders probably requires
better bandpass filtering and you need especially good filtering if you
are using a single tribander.

I'll try some other combinations - that was just an easy one to knock out during lunch.

If anyone has any particular antenna model to try, let me know.

The parasitic elements on the 15 m antenna are far enough from resonance that they probably don't couple well to the driven element, so I think you could treat it as a dipole.

In the far field (not necessarily the case here), a 3 element 20m Yagi has about 13.5 dBi gain at 22 degree elevation angle (Cebik design, over ground, so it gets a "ground bounce" gain).

For other ham bands, assuming it's perfectly matched at 20m (and not so perfect for other bands)..

40m  -14.4 dB mismatch, 5.0 dBi - net of  -9.4 dBi
30m  -12.8              6.4 dBi -         -6.5
20m  0                 13.5               13.5
17m  - 8.5              6.2               -2.3
15m  - 9.9              4.6               -5.3
12m  -12.0              0.1              -11.9
10m  -12.8            -12.0              -24.8

Some interesting observations - the gain down about 6-8 dB when not at resonance - so what we're seeing is basically just a dipole over ground. 10m is horrible because the antenna is exactly double size and approximately resonant, so the coupling among the elements is all screwed up and out of phase.

The mismatch loss is about 10dB for "adjacent bands" and only 15 dB for "far away bands". This is the "frequency selectivity" of the antenna.

In the near field (basically any sort of field day setup within the rule determined radius), at best, you pick up 10-15 dB, certainly not more than 20 dB, of extra isolation for being out of band. You might get another 10-15 dB for "orientation".

And this is the fundamental problem with multiple antennas at the same site - they make terrible filters.

I suspect that *any* monoband antenna operated well away from its design frequency will be like a dipole - that is, it's not much different than the 3 element yagi I modeled here.

John KK9A