[TowerTalk] SO2R or Multiop Contesting without interference

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SO2R or Multiop Contesting without interference
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 10:36:54 -0700
From: Timothy Coker <n6win@yahoo.com>
To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>

<Is anyone out there operating high power SO2R or Multi-Op without interstation
interference (besides being on or very near a harmonic)?

<I read reviews of various antennas, new filters, etc of having non-existant
issues. However, in my limited experience it seems that tribanders will have
these issues even with the latest high power triplexors and band pass filters.
Even problems will arise at multi-<tower stations with monoband yagi stacks
and/or different direction facing yagi's.
<Has anyone got the ability to say that they are trouble free on their various
band combinations?
<For instance, at home I have lots of interference when receiving on 15m and
while transmitting on 20m. Same goes when receiving on 20m and transmitting on
40m. For me, it can be both direction and/or antenna limited depending on what
band combination <and which tribander that I take out of the stack.

<I'm curious about the true confessions that other operators have about what
they are dealing with when transmitting on multiple bands at once? Have some of
the stations got this under control? If so is it mainly the big property owning
stations with many towers <or have guys on 1-2 tower setups quelled this also?
<73,
<Tim / N6WIN.

##  back in the 80s,  at  VE7ZZZ  MM,   one tower used for  each band  for  40,
20,  15, 10m.   Only 1 yagi  on top of each tower.  NO filters  used anywhere.
 Zero issues with  up to 4 x stations running at once.  And for the most part,
HB linears
used on all bands..except  160m...where a small  TL-922  was used.    But this
was on SSB,  so  harmonic issues  are not as prevalent as on CW.   40-20-15-10
m  during the day...and  160-80-40-20 m  at night.   They were on 20 acres out
by the lake.
No commercial AC  power was available, so a diesel generator was used  to run
the entire mess.   Nearest home that did have commercial AC power was a half
mile away..and only that one home.   You could hear a pin drop  on every band.
If there was
any hint of interstation interference, we would have been able to hear it
asap..and we did not.   Towers  ranged from right next to main building to
150-225 ft away from the main building, and well spaced between  towers.
Relatively simple setup. HB linears stayed at the permanent building, and the
xcvrs were brought from home for each ssb  contest.   Start installing multiple
yagis for different bands on the same tower, then all bets are off..and in have
to go the band pass filters between xcvr  and amp, or high power  band pass
filters  between  amp and ant.

Jim  VE7RF