Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Vertical Radials

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Vertical Radials
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 17:18:19 -0700
You don't mention what kind of array.  I think it matters a lot.

I was chasing a concern about radial current asymmetry (significant pattern distortion predicted by several authors) for a top loaded 160m T with 8 elevated radials which have a 3.5:1 measured current imbalance highest to lowest due to proximity to a tower for one of them and a metal building for another. So the coupling even at 15' separation was significant. I was told this would significantly distort the pattern, but modeling only shows ~.4db of pattern asymmetry. I modeled measured radial current asymmetry by putting a current source in each radial at the measured value (the results look ok, AGT=1.035, but I'm not sure this is the best way to model).

Then I was told that the I^2 * R loss in the high current radials would cause excessive loss, but the skin loss calc for 13ga aluminum was 3 watts at QRO in the highest current radial.

From what I've been told/read radials need to by VERY symmetric to develop the pattern for 4 squares. Here, I think the wisdom is correct to preserve the phase accuracy from each antenna to the phasing network. For a dxpedition I built 160m top and inductor loaded resistor swamped receive 4sq (no amplifiers) per the W8JI ideas and he emphasizes having an on the ground/buried symmetric radial layout with no cross or otherwise connections. It worked. Also, K3LR advised me that my DXeng permanent QTH high impedance receive 4 sq should have identical radials (length, #, and azimuth) on each antenna. Mine aren't and it works well but shows one pattern peculiarity, so adding the one needed radial per antenna is on the to do list. (or removing all of then since the antenna support ground rod RF ground is likely good enough for the high input Z amplifier). However, I think all 4 squares are very pattern sensitive to nearby metal stuff - buildings, towers, other radials and antennas. ON4UN discusses this in the section about 4 squares.

So depending on the array design, cross connections may matter a lot. Another wisdom, correct I think, is that wires that cross don't couple much but close parallel ones will so a physical connection is not required. So that is something to consider in your radial layout.

Another factor IMO is that buried radials are swamped by the ground losses so their sensitivity to nearby structures are a lot less than elevated ones.

It may also be helpful to peruse antennasbyn6lf.com, W8JI.com and W8WWV's web sites.

I think 4 sq builders have a lot more to say re this topic.

Grant KZ1W