Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid crimp or, crimp-crimp, supply?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 00:36:52 -0700
On 6/25/2018 10:35 PM, Avery Davis wrote:
Would you please share a link to a source that discusses the limits of N
connectors?  Everything I have seen so far suggests they have as good or
better power handling at low frequencies than the PL-259, and are much
better at UHF as they are constant impedance (lower loss, higher power,
lower SWR).  For example, Amphenol rates their SO-239 at 500 V, while
their Type N is rated at 1500 Volts.  That sounds like better power
handling, to me.

Only under the conditions of ridiculous SWR for legal limit power in the US. 500V at 50 ohms is 5kW, and 3.3kW at 75 ohms. GOOD QUALITY UHF connectors are plenty good enough at 6M and below unless you're running illegal power. Anyone who argues otherwise failed his course on transmission lines. Yes, UHF connectors are not 50 ohm connectors, but below UHF, any loss resulting from the small discontinuity they introduce is too small to matter below 150 MHz.

My station is standardized on UHF connectors. When I NEED N-connectors to mate with equipment, I use a very nice 2-piece connector developed by Andros Engineering. Unfortunately, their website is SNAFU. Both center and shield are soldered. It's like a PL259 -- soldered connections are to one plece and the other piece is the screw-on retainer.

For either connector, good weatherproofing is critical if you live where it rains. Where I live it rains a LOT!

73, Jim K9YC