Re: [TowerTalk] UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid crimp or, crimp-c

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid crimp or, crimp-crimp, supply?
From: Avery Davis <wb4rtp@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 12:52:51 -0700
I have been very happy with the quality and prices from this vendor:

http://www.pl-259.com/index.html

I get this type:
PL-259 silver plated, Teflon insulator, gold plated tip
I try very hard not to get solder on the outside of the tip, filing off
any excess, and I use a flux remover spray to clean the connector.

For outdoor use, I prefer type-N because it has a gasket.  I like the
compression type because I find soldering the braid to be such a chore
and the compression fitting eliminates this soldering.  This works best
with silver plated connectors and coax braid because this minimizes
connection resistance and minimizes skin effect losses at higher
frequencies.  At higher frequencies, tinned conductors can have
increasing resistive losses due to skin effect, but bare copper is more
likely to corrode, while silver plated copper is more expensive.  As
with most things, there is a cost trade-off between bare copper, tinned
copper and silver plated copper.  Here is an article that has an
interesting discussion about this:

https://www.belden.com/blog/broadcast/in-defense-of-tinned-copper

73,
Avery, WB4RTP