Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connector, Re: UHF (PL259) soldered center with braid crimp or, crimp-crimp, supply?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 05:32:56 -0700
On 6/25/18 10:35 PM, Avery Davis wrote:
Charlie,
Would you please share a link to a source that discusses the limits of N
connectors?  Everything I have seen so far suggests they have as good or
better power handling at low frequencies than the PL-259, and are much
better at UHF as they are constant impedance (lower loss, higher power,
lower SWR).  For example, Amphenol rates their SO-239 at 500 V, while
their Type N is rated at 1500 Volts.  That sounds like better power
handling, to me.  The current rating wasn't listed, but I would think
that they would be about the same as the wire gauge in the coax cable
center conductor, since both connectors have center contact outer
diameter about the same as RG-8 or RG-213 coax, especially if skin-depth
effects are taken into account.
I would appreciate a link to a better source of information on this.
73,
Avery, WB4RTP

The UHF connector has a larger diameter center pin (0.156") than the N (0.1197"), so its current handling capability is (slightly) higher.