Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Tri-ex 70 tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Tri-ex 70 tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 10:03:17 -0700
I think it is important to distinguish between when guys are needed to support the tower structurally and when they are needed with a trailer mounted tower for turnover resistance beyond what the outriggers provide. I also doubt rebar anchors will have any significant benefit in either case for a 70' tower.

At Visalia DX conference the past few years a 89' US Tower HDX589 (or maybe the 106') was in use for the convention station. The outriggers are substantial, about 14' long. The tower is set up to be guyed as it has the locking swing arm blocking tabs at each level. A non-locking crank up should not be guyed above the bottom section. The hoist cable isn't rated for the vertical component of the guy loads. I don't have the specs, but assume the outriggers are good to xx wind speed, so for a left in place unattended use, it would be need to be guyed to prevent turnover at the HDX589 rated loads. Otherwise, it seems to me that the tower is rated the same as the stand alone equivalent crank up if mounted to the specified concrete base/base plate.

I've been through similar turnover calculations for a heavy duty 42' Will-Burt pneumatic mast (non locking) I mount bottom section guyed to my truck bed. The mast at full rated load (60mph gust, 8 sq ft) will flip over my 3/4 ton 8' bed HD pickup, so down it comes at 30mph wind speed. I also have a trailer mount with 5' long 2" sq tube outriggers. The capacity is a little bit more before the outriggers will bend.

Grant KZ1W