Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Tri-ex 70 tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Tri-ex 70 tower
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 15:15:25 -0700
Some folks I work with had to place some 225-450 MHz corner reflectors on a dry lake bed and anchor them firmly in place. That is when I learned about the existence of the Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI), Tent Rental Division (TRD) Procedural Handbook. Chapter 3 addresses anchoring:

http://www.snicc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/TRD17_TentSafe_Handbook.pdf

FWIW, I guy my AB-577 military mast with those 7ft steel T-posts (the ones that are typically painted green) that they sell at Tractor Supply. They have held up well for a number of years in a windy location with no problems in sandy soil and a modest wind load (Spiderbeam antenna). For heavier winds loads (like a crank-up tower with bigger antennas), I am not sure that I would trust them without doing some real engineering (I just winged it with the AB-577 installation).

73, Mike W4EF.................