Re: [TowerTalk] Towers near airports

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers near airports
From: "Marko Myllymaki" <marko.l.myllymaki@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:36:33 -0700
Hello,

I was considering buying 2 different properties in 2012 near Ramona, CA
airport.  Properties were on hilltops just few miles from airport in the
valley.

I filed for FAA study through this website:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/portal.jsp

I abandoned both cases as deals did not work out but I recall even talking
on phone with FAA representative who commented prior official study
completion that it looked like what I wanted to do (certain tower height at
certain coordinates) would not be a problem and would not require painting
or lights (which they may require in some cases if tower is defined to be
obstructing something).

I recall actually that limiting airport was not going to be Ramona airport
which was in line of sight from the QTH but Miramar Marine Corps Air Station
much further away.  But due to mountain peaks and other topography glide
paths to that Miramar airport were passing near QTHs I was considering.  I
never even thought about that before.

I never completed this FAA process as I abandoned it but I found it quite
easy to initiate and when I talked to them they seemed to be very
accommodating.  So at least at the time there existed this formal way to
request them to evaluate your case and you will get firm and clear answer.

In San Diego county, if you apply for building permit for tower in certain
geographic zones, county building permit guys would know if you need to have
the FAA clearance or not.  I wanted to get ahead the game and as part of due
diligence on purchasing property I wanted to check this FAA issue.

Good luck.  73 de Marko N5ZO

Message: 6