[TowerTalk] Rotor and controller choice

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor and controller choice
From: Thomas Hybiske <thybiske@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 07:24:44 -0400
I prefer and use a pair of the Alfa Spid RAK and Green Heron controller
combos.    You can jack the supply voltage to the rotator up via the
controller to increase rotational speed.  Along with that, there's ramp up
and down, and over rotation.  The rotator uses heavy duty automotive axle
bearings, and worm gear drive.  No brake is required and the rotator holds
a heading with no wind rocking whatsoever.  There is one thing that's a
pain.  The rotator has a deep mast socket that employs 8 bolts to lock the
mast in place.  If you need to remove or install the rotator with a heavy
load in place, you need to (usually) jack the mast up high enough to clear
the mast socket.  There is no open side like on the bell rotators.  The
upside to this is that I've never had a mast slip.
Tom Hybiske, K3GM