Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor and controller choice

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor and controller choice
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:51:28 -0400
Folks,

Thank you for the direct and list,
informative replies. So many direct
replies and I am grateful & I'll reply to
each directly but I'll use the list to
offer a global reply right now.

There was nothing but universal praise for
the Green Heron controller so that makes
it a done deal as regards controllers. I
now have to decide on the rotor.

At this point I will only be driving a 6
meter 6M7JHV till next summer. It weighs
18 pounds. The way I have used the
tailtwister is bolted to a base and the
antenna attached to the mast above. I've
been informed this is bad practice and I
need to use a thrust bearing to not abuse
the rotor, even with light loads. I knew
to use them for heavy loads but just
learned something new. I'll make an
arrangement in my roof tripod to make this
so.

So now, considering the desire to have a
rapid rotation (using this 6M beam), a
Prop Pitch is not in the hunt but based on
the many replies, I have two options that
I would do well to decide from that come
at a cost effective package from Green
Heron; the Yaesu G-2800 and the Alpha Spid
RAK.

Both of these rotors get about the same
reviews on eHam. I like that the Alpha
SPid is made in Canada, Yaesu doesn't have
the best tech support but they're a large
company with a lot of history.

Any strong caveats with either one of
these before I order?

Thanks,