Re: [TowerTalk] supporting a 40 meter rotatable dipole with trusses

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] supporting a 40 meter rotatable dipole with trusses
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 21:54:35 -0700
I second the "too small" opinion.

IMO spend the $40 for Yagi Mech from DX Engineering and design for the wind velocity expected.  Almost certainly some tube diameters will need single and perhaps double internal sleeving at spots.  From my Y-M modeling experience, the center probably needs to be around 0.120" wall by 1.75" od for 6'+ each side of the boom.  It is also a bit difficult to design full size 20 and 40m 80+ mph beams with only the 6' lengths from DX Eng, although I love their prices.  A little work with YagiMech will illuminate why popular commercial 40m yagis are linear or coil or Moxon loaded, and why full size 3L ones weigh 300# and cost $5k.  Think what 1/3 of that might look like. My 3L 40m came from an great Oregon ham builder and weighs 350# and is very experienced with wind and ice.

Unless you really upscale sizes, a truss will be needed for full size 40m elements and while dacron is relatively low stretch, Phillystran is the standard for element trusses, essentially no stretch.

I don't use hose clamps for elements over 1/2" diameter.  Crossed machine screws keep elements snug in 2 planes with short overlaps, are strong, elements won't vibrate, and using nylocks they don't loosen.

Then the more guys used = more wind resistance and worse the more ice loading.

I think your dimensions will be easy to tune.  NEC not needed. Mechanically you have the biggest challenge, IMO.

124' is a long way to climb to unscramble aluminum spaghetti.

Grant KZ1W