Re: [TowerTalk] Number of radials

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>, w1jcw@hotmail.com, "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Number of radials
From: Timothy Coker via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:35:38 +0000 (UTC)
Agreed, especially if he's going to use this as an 80-6m.

Tim / N6WIN

    On Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 10:28:38 AM PDT, jcjacobsen@q.com
<jcjacobsen@q.com> wrote:

 John is looking for advice for radials under vertical for 80 meters.

John, get yourself a copy of the Antenna book. There is a chart showing number
of radials, vs how efficient, vs amount of wire available.
If I remember correctly, if you only have room/enough wire for a few, then
length isn't as important. I always went with, as many as I could, as long as I
could make 'em. Right now I have limited room, so I have 32 radials, aprox 30'
long under 42' vertical. Works very well, at least I think so.
If they are buried, they don't have to be resonant ie no need for 1/4
wavelength long.

Have fun with the project.

73
K9WN Jake