Re: [TowerTalk] Busting a Pileup

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Busting a Pileup
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 14:45:55 -0700
On 8/30/18 1:47 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
Another sign that cluster clickers are calling is
when the station who initially spot is somewhat
off frequency.  Then you get 10 callers in a row
who are also off frequency by the same amount.
I've encountered that many times.
If you get 10 callers that are zero beat with the
running station, that may or may not have to do
with spots.

Rick N6RK

I suppose it's HF antenna related enough to continue -
Frequency control is generally much better these days - 1ppm kinds of tolerances are common. I suspect in the "old days" you'd get things spread out just from tolerances on everyone's VFO and/or crystals

But, to get more to Brian's analysis and the connection to antenna gains, I'm not sure the assumption of Rayleigh or Log-Normal distributions are valid.

One sees Rayleigh distributions in a land mobile signal over time, because the underlying process (multipath) creates a Rayleigh distribution. If you combine paths with uniform random phase and random amplitude, you get a Rayleigh distribution.

However, I don't think that's necessarily a good model for received signal strength: a) any *one* signal might show rayleigh distributed fading, if there's path diversity through the ionosphere - but that would be over a long time scale, and would be more at some particular path configurations (where you're close to cutoff, so O and X mode propagate more differently, and with multiple hops). I will say that having done some spectrogram kinds of studies, most HF signals are not Rayleigh distributed, but then, one can argue that in a contesting situation, you're more likely to be on the ragged edge.

b) what you're really interested in is the distribution of received power, which is a combination of EIRP and path loss.

EIRP depends on the amateur and their antenna - one might be able to say that the population of EIRPs has some clumps - lots of people running 100W into a 8-10dBi antenna, some fewer people running 1kW into a 12dBi or more antenna, and some other hardy souls running 100W (or 10W) into a dipole (and counting on their unique callsign prefix (P5?) getting the response desired)

Path loss is primarily influenced by distance, so the distribution across all the folks in the pileup is some weird combination of: i) inverse square of the distance distribution (which is quite weird in itself, since the distribution of amateur transmitters is far from uniform on the surface of the earth

 combined with
ii) the height of the ionosphere for the hops (which affects the path distance AND the angle of incidence on earth and ionosphere, which in turn affects the loss)

Phenomena like the skip zone and the bright line just after the skip zone are something that has significant (many dB) effect.

One might look at ITU or CCIR reports for HF broadcasting - there's probably some model for this. (and, for all I know, it might turn out that Rayleigh or Log Normal) happens to fit well. Log Normal does describe a lot of phenomena.

Sample Matlab/Octave code for Rayleigh distributions
%simulate  random paths
N = 10000
p1 = rand(N,1)*2*pi;
p2 = rand(N,1)*2*pi;
s1 = complex(cos(p1),sin(p1)).*rand(N,1);
s2 = complex(cos(p2),sin(p2)).*rand(N,1);
s = s1+s2;
sm = abs(s);
figure(1)
hist(sm,100)
p3 = rand(N,1)*2*pi;
s3 = complex(cos(p3),sin(p3)).*rand(N,1);
s = s+s3;
sm = abs(s);
figure(2)
hist(sm,100)
p4 = rand(N,1)*2*pi;
s4 = complex(cos(p4),sin(p4)).*rand(N,1);
s = s+s4;
sm = abs(s);
figure(3)
hist(sm,100)