Re: [TowerTalk] feedpoint choke for inv L

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] feedpoint choke for inv L
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 16:02:54 -0700
I have too few (~20) insulated, 55 foot long on-the-ground radials under my 55' high inverted-L.  In my desert conditions, running radials is quite literally a pain, but I will add more as time permits. There are also a number of bare-wire buried radials left over from an 80-meter project.  I have however, disconnected them with the idea that I am trying to collect displacement currents and return them to the base without loss in the soil.

That said, and with deference to Rudy, whose papers fill a folder on my hard drive, I still have a lightning ground consisting of four buried 2 AWG bare wires from the radial plate to four 8' ground rods on 16' centers. So there is a combination of radials and an earth connection.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Furthermore, the Heliax transmission line lays on the ground and there isn't a piece of ferrite anywhere in my station, except for the molded on ones on a few computer interconnects and the bead balun on my inverted-V.  And... I use this antenna for both TX and RX and I hear as well as, or better, than I can get out using 500W.

Wes  N7WS