Re: [TowerTalk] Stripping rg142

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stripping rg142
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 08:45:26 -0800
On 11/25/18 7:41 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
Yup. Burning teflon produces phosgine gas. Which is pretty toxic I hear?
Jim w7ry

Well, technically, no phosgene (carbonyl chloride), because there's only Fluorine in PTFE, no Chlorine - you get carbonyl fluoride.

PVC, on the other hand, has plenty of Chlorine.

But there's plenty of other nasty stuff that comes off burning plastic of all kinds - but it's not huge amounts. Occupational exposure on a regular basis might be an issue - same thing applies to smoke from rosin and more modern fluxes.

I think it was more the "cleanliness of cut" is better with modern spinning knife cutters (whether a single blade spin with your finger, or a motorized one).

Sent from my wireless communicator