Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Bolt Patterns

To: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Bolt Patterns
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 08:40:26 -0800
One alternative is a new hole pattern rotated enough to miss the existing holes. The pattern can be drawn on grid paper, taped to the rotator plate, prick punch and then center punch the hole position. Then use a pilot drill, 1/16" to spot the new holes. Starting with the bolt size drill will likely wander off enough to be a problem.

Mostly I use the DeWalt Pilot Point drills for holes thin metal. They rarely wander, and make round holes with tight tolerances, and are made from excellent quality steel. If used at the right rpm's and with some coolant they will make a lot of holes, even in difficult steels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Titanium-Pilot-Point-Drill-Bit-Set-29-Piece-DW1369/202279644

Generally, Chinese drills are junk steel. Don't be seduced by the gold color TiN coatings (Titanium Nitride, not titanium), it is worthless on poor steel drills and is really only useful for volume production. It looks nice though for marketing purposes.

A die grinder (big Dremel) with a double cut carbide burr is one way to enlarge holes. Buy the burr from a tool supplier - Travers, MSC, McMaster, Shars, KBC, Western Tool, or your local tool distributor.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/05293212?cid=ppc-google-Returning+%E2%80%93+Zero+Traffic+%E2%80%93+PLA_sabV7MYAC___291135572310_c_S&mkwid=sabV7MYAC|dc&pcrid=291135572310&rd=k&product_id=05293212&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoo7gBRDuARIsANeJKUaXyOQ3PzKjBX_oIjB4D0N8UEHBZJaLvHGbkj2RekPz37XbhdvSzp0aAhS5EALw_wcB

SGS is a premium USA carbide tool maker, one of several.

A stone grinding point will take forever. The burr should be a straight pattern and smaller in diameter than the existing hole. It will likely bounce around a bit as you learn to control the motion, so having a spare burr or two is a good idea. Considering the amount of usage for the grinder, saving $ with the Harbor Fright one may be a good decision. Even though the old adage is never buy something HF with a power cord, their stuff is getting much better.

While gouging out holes with the side of a drill works a bit in wood, drill bits aren't designed for it. Consider in wood the strength ratio of the drill is about 20:1, and in mild steel the difference is ~ 2:1.

In a milling machine a new hole can be placed anywhere with a center cutting end mill.

Grant KZ1W