Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Antenna Rotator: The Teardown

To: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham Antenna Rotator: The Teardown
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:44:05 -0800
The real HyGain (pre MFJ) would supply a high end grease, about an oz for $15, with anti-fretting properties. I found it commercially but only in commercial quantity packaging and it was quite expensive.

I use Superlube 21030 with TFE full synthetic, a tube costs less the $10. Full synthetic won't dry out or separate like white lithium or other mineral oil plus carrier greases. A widely available, cheap, and excellent grease with a much wider temperature range than mineral oil greases. Not overkill.

If you want the gory details why rotator races get divits
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/693/fretting-wear

Grant KZ1W