Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:55:08 -0800
On 12/5/2018 3:47 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
  All the analyzers mentioned have a HF or VHF frequency limit but I rarely
need measurements beyond VHF.

The FA-VA5 goes to 600 MHz, the VNWA 3e to 500 MHz with 90 dB dynamic range, and 50 dB up to 1.3 GHz. Like you, I rarely need to measure equipment or antennas above 6M. I do, however, do most TDR sweeps from 100-500 MHz, sometimes go higher to get greater time/distance resolution. For those who don't know, the resolution of a TDR sweep increases in direct proportion to the width of the sweep. By "resolution," I mean the ability to see fine detail. I've never seen the N2PK VNA, but have heard nothing but good things about it.

BUT -- last I heard, it only went to about 100 MHz, which is a significant limitation for TDR. That's part of what comes with being "early" -- having to design with older parts, or parts that are cheap enough when you're doing your design.

73, Jim