[TowerTalk] Fwd: Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 23:26:54 +0000 (UTC)
 You are going to trust a couple of #3,000 blocks to hold up your 150 feet
tower? Sounds risky to me. I have a tapered 85 feet tower and I am using screw
anchors for that. The pull-out force for them is #14,000 and that is not an
"over-do". I am BTW using guy wires in four instead of the usual three
directions (something that I highly recommend as the angle between the guy
wires becomes less critical).
I don't know how easy it is to pull up a #3,000 concrete block compared to how
much pull-up force you will see from the tower.

Oh, BTW I would definitely not trust the steel/iron loop embedded in the block
for any type of permanent support. You have no idea how much they are embedded
unless you put them in yourself.

Please, do what the manufacturer recommends. That will save you some headache
later.
Hans - N2JFS