Re: [TowerTalk] Securing vertical to concrete post?

To: "towertalk@contesting com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Securing vertical to concrete post?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:01:19 -0800
I think typical thin SS banding has limited strength and high corrosion risks. Then if the stress stretches the top band or it breaks, down comes the antenna. Plus how do you attach the antenna?

You could get a fab shop to ring roll some rings in say 1/4" thick x 2" wide 316 stainless, bend or weld on ears for cinch bolts and have them weld on whatever you need for attaching the vertical. Scale up or down depending on whatever "large" means. The top band gets a lot of moment.

Or get it made in A36 hot roll steel (esp. if thicker is needed) and have it hot dip galvanized. This would be my preference. Plus, thicker A36 can be easily torch annealed if multi pass rolling is needed.

Or have Portland Bolt make some giant HDG u-bolts in 3/4" dia or larger (up to 4" diameter rod!) and use a channel or large angle cross piece. https://www.portlandbolt.com/products/bent/round-u-bolts/ Easy to get a quote.

Grant KZ1W