Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic

To: towertalk@contesting.com, bjtatum1@att.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 16:38:25 +0000 (UTC)
>  Hello-? ? I was at a friend's QTH recently viewing his new Rohn RSL100L10, a
>100' self supporter put together with 10' sections R-10H through R-1. It is
>rated for 25 ft/2 wind load at 90 MPH, dropping back to 11 ft2 at 100 MPH. We
>were discussing his planned installation of a KT-36 and M2 3 ele 40 meter
>yagi. He wishes to have the KT-36 about 15' above the tower top plate with the
>40 meter yagi approx. 1' or 2' above tower top. Both antennas are fairly close
>in weight (approx. 95#), boom length (36') and wind load (10 ft2). ? I wanted
>to get opinions of folks experienced with large antennas and self supporting
>towers if this planned installation is OK for this tower.
Hiya, Byron --
    The proposed configuration sounds good to me but I'm not offering an answer
to your question. What I am offering is a tower technique that I highly
recommend.

    Install the antennas on opposite sides of the mast. That way many of the
wind vectors cancel each other out. This was determined by Dick Weber, K5IU, a
PE and the article appeared in QEX years ago. Anything you can do to reduce the
wind induced torque on a mast is a good thing. Did I mention this is highly
recommended?
Cheers.Steve    K7LXCTOWER TECH