[TowerTalk] Fwd: Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 14:25:16 +0000 (UTC)
 Terry,
The problem at hand is not the bending force but the twisting force on the
tower (Many times overlooked). You can guy the tower to death, but if there is
a twisting force large enough, the tower will break apart and collapse. The guy
wires give very little, if any, support for a twisting motion. The only way to
"guy" for that is to install a torque bar on the tower. You see them frequently
on latter cell towers. It's a bar or triangle mounted near the top of the tower
and connected to pair guy wires. A twisting motion will then stretch one guy
wire while slacking the other. It is used when you want improved azimuthal
alignment.

There are issues whether you can improve the strength of an unguyed tower by
adding guy wires. Guy wires are adding a downforce which adds to the already
existing force from the loads. I did the analyzes on my Universal Tower so I
know. I found out, in my specific case, that by adding one set of guy wires
about 2/3 up increased the ability to withstand wind from 85 mph to 135 mph
provided I don't add a lot of weight to it. A guy wire attached to the top
would not improve it rather make it worse.

And this was my $.03 worth. 73 de,
Hans - N2JFS