Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn RSL tower - slightly off topic
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 17:48:01 -0400
The discussion is more about rotational torque on the mast and rotator than a worry about a tower falling down. Think of it as an academic exercise.

-Steve K8LX

On 6/6/2019 5:09 PM, terry burge wrote:

Guys, I really got to wonder about this. It seems to me IF your antenna load on
the tower is a concern, why not just add some guy wires. A guyed tower can
handle the wind forces so much better and you can sleep well at night knowing
that. I personally have wondered about the integrity of free standing towers
over time. Sure, they may look nicer (maybe) and have a smaller footprint
outside the concrete base, but knowing how us hams always want bigger and
better antennas, why not just guy a tower to make sure it will stand up to the
wind forces. Maybe won't handle a tornado but then what tower would?

Just my $.02 worth.

Terry
KI7M