Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire lower than other two

To: "Chris Hoelzle" <w7mi.chris@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy wire lower than other two
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 22:34:00 -0400
Did you mean that the guy anchors will be located at different elevations?

If so, this is not a problem.  Both of my Rohn 45 towers (100’ and 130’) are
located on elevated ledge and have two guys on that elevation.  The third guy
wire of the 130’ tower is located about 10’ lower vertically and about 80’
further away from the tower than the other two (95’, 90’ and 175’ away).  The
third guy wire on the 100’ tower is about the same distance away from the tower
as the other two but is also about 10’ lower and of similar length.

This has never been a problem through multiple tornados, hurricanes, and
countless violent T-storms, icestorms and blizzards.

The bases of both towers are deeper and wider with more concrete than is
required and the guy anchors are are similarly installed.  I use 1/4” EHS with
preforms and ice clips.
I don’t know that this would have been required for to safeguard the 10’
elevation difference and greater lengths, but I thought it to be prudent
“insurance”.

Follow the Rohn specs – however, it is certainly ok to make the installation
“beefier” than required.

73

Bob  KQ2M