Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:02:01 -0700
     My suspicion is the double guy sets per face can only help but I have
never seen it quantified.
     Since the capacity of a tower is determined by the leg strength, I'd say
that the use of a star guy bracket doesn't really do anything to change it. I'm not an
engineer so I don't have any calcs to provide.
Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH

a double guy set would put more down force on the legs, wouldn't it. You'd tension the guys all to the same value, and the downforce on the legs (and the diagonal braces) would be the sum of the downforce from the first set of guys plus that from the second set of guys.

Interestingly, on one analysis I saw, the actual limit was the buckling of the diagonal members in the truss sections - they're longer and skinnier than the vertical corner members.

The maximum load on a slender column isn't so much the straight up compression strength of the metal, but, rather, the column buckling, which is more a function of the length/diameter ratio.