Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 18:56:38 -0500
I would not put more on a tower than Rohn's wind load ratings allow just because a torque guy is used. A 6 way star guy does a great job of minimizing twisting. There is more leg compression since there are more guys wires however a Rohn 45 is designed to go 300' high and the tower in the post is only 110'. I believe that twisting can cause tower failure, K4JA's tower twisted back and forth in hurricane winds until it failed. Adding a star guy is probably a good thing if the antenna has a long boom. I use star guys and a taper pier pin base on all of my towers.

John KK9A

k7lxc wrote:

I had one of these on the top guy set of my 110' R45 tower. And I had torque arms on the lower two guy sets. My question is aside from twisting, does this change any of the wind loading numbers? My suspicion is the double guy sets per face can only help but I have never seen it quantified.

Since the capacity of a tower is determined by the leg strength, I'd say that the use of a star guy bracket doesn't really do anything to change it. I'm not an engineer so I don't have any calcs to provide.
Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH