Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk is old enough to drink!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk is old enough to drink!
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 07:24:27 -0700
I've experienced three kinds of bureaucrats in several permitting processes:

1. Antagonistic - I'm going to keep you from doing this. Some so bold to actually say that. Using their power to apply their personal values or politics to my application.

2. Lawful - here is what the codes say and if you do that it will be approved.

3. Helpful - If you modify x, y, or z, you will conform to what the code allows.

My last tower permit had all three participants.

#1 - Planning Dept - You need test borings and full geotechnical study, we don't allow towers this big (there is no code on heights)

#2 - Health Dept - the base concrete has no effect on septic or well, immediately signed off.

#3 - Building Permit - #1 request is strange, let's ask the county engineer. Engineer - "your ground pressure is less than human foot loads from standing there, #1 is an idiot" immediately signed off w/o tests.

#1 got her revenge - "we are going to apply commercial tower codes to this tower". So I hired a lawyer to read her the line in the commercial codes. "Amateur radio towers are exempt from the provisions of this section." (a must statement if your municipality is considering tower codes, which get very expansive with the intent to control cell tower proliferation).

So now I have a big permitted tower, and one bureaucrat that I hope is retired when I need my next permit.

If you can access contractors or architects who deal with the involved agencies on a regular basis, talk to them about who to work with.

Then there are some funny stories about residential inspectors doing finals on my towers. It's not in their wheelhouse.

Grant KZ1W