Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower
From: Don <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:33:30 -0700
Circa 1965, while living in Portland, I topped enough off a 110 ft Fir tree at the property side to install a HyGain Thunderbird tri-bander. Did the work myself when I was young. Used a prop pitch motor to turn and selysn's for direction indication. _Mounting took some creative thinking but it was up for many many years_. The con was that being exposed to the winter winds the tree tended to sway at the top more than I had thought it would, transmitting that motion to the elements. Had two occasions where an element eventually broke from the constant flexing back and forth. Shortening the mast helped ease the issue. Pics and mounting method info available if interested.

Don W7WLL