Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower

To: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower
From: Ken Bauer via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:09:24 -0700
Lol. I had an initiation experience to tree climbers and antennas. Went on an
errand to get a part, leaving tree climbers on their own (big mistake). They
were mounting a 17’ VHF/UHF vertical, coax at the bottom with three little
ground plane radials. They decided I had given them the antenna upside down,
and that the tiny ground plane radials were the antenna, and needed to be on
top. In the process of Inverting the antenna, the tree climber broke the tip 3’
from the top, and tried to splint it with tape and a wooded stake. The splints
broke and the tip is currently horizontal … Heaven only knows what would happen
with a more complicated antenna!