Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:17:00 -0500
I've long been a fan of the EFHW for portable operation, but I've always used a tuner. There seems to be a lot of aversion to tuners. If you can get over that, many possibilities open up. A simple L-network will match the EFHW. (Though not the ones built into radios.)

The EFHW is easily modeled with EZNEC, etc., and I think the results are quite accurate. Beware, however, that antennas like the EFHW-8010 are multiples of a half wave on all but the lowest band, and their pattern will behave accordingly. On the lowest band, it's much like an inverted V, and has the advantage that, even though the feedpoint is near the ground, the maximum current is at the apex, where it radiates most effectively. I've used a 40 meter EFHW on 40 and 20 with good results for portable operation.

Another wire antenna I've had good success with over the years is a 100 foot wire center fed with 300 Ohm window line. Like the EFHW, it has the advantage of not needing a good ground or counterpoise, so it's a good choice for an apartment, etc. not on the ground floor.  It requires, however, a truly balanced tuner, not one with a balun transformer at the output. I used a homebrew link-coupled tuner I built over 50 years ago. There is one MFJ tuner that's truly balanced, but I haven't used it.

73,
Scott K9MA