Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 22:48:36 -0700

That is correct.  Phase flips every half wave as you travel away from the feedpoint.

At one point in the past I had a 160m Inverted-V that I fed in the center for approximately a dipole pattern (I say "approximately" because it was low enough to be more omnidirectional than not).  For 80m, I fed that same antenna at 25% from one end to get the cloverleaf pattern while still having a low feedpoint impedance. With the antenna aligned north/south, the 80m pattern from here in Arizona gave me NW (Washington/Oregon), NE (most of east coast), and SE (Caribbean) with California workable via the high angle "backside" because they were so close.

The cloverleaf pattern was actually more effective than a classic dipole figure 8, although of course I have no idea how much feedline radiation I was unable to choke off.  In any case I never noticed any problems during the fairly brief period I used it.

73,
Dave   AB7E