Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antennas
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 20:33:47 -0300
Hey Kelly,

I have had most wire antennas (and a lot of others)

Often overlooked is the ZS6BKW.kinda like a G5RV; but IMO , much better.

I use a variety of verticals or vertical arrays (4-squares/VDA's) on my
primary radio #1 in my SO2R setup

and on radio #2 I use just a single ZS6BKW @ 35'-40' with an added 15m
dipole (as the 'BKW does not cover 15m).

I still use just 2 end supports like you would for any dipole.  The way I
add the 15m dipole with no added end supports is to use very tiny PVC
spreaders and some fishing line as backstays, right onto the main antenna
wire itself.  You could always stretch the 15m dple end "ropes" out to your
supports if they were in the clear.  Just easier for me to K.I.S.S and use 2
end supports however.

Hard to describe.but essentially it's just a 'BKW/15m FAN dple..it's
survived many harsh NB winters quite well.  Use a quality 450 Ohm ladder
line , like from www.mapleleafcom.com out of Ontario (no financial
connection-just a happy customer)

Modified thusly, I get all contest bands 80m-6m with no tuner on one simple
antenna.  It will work (a little) on 160m with a tuner.  I've not tried it
on the WARC* bands or 60m.  SWR is pretty high there*...SWR will vary a
little with wet wx, so a rig tuner or outboard tuner might be nice, but not
completely needed once you get it dialed in.

If oriented correctly, you can get a little gain in key directions on the
higher bands.  I have mine oriented kinda E-W, so I get some gain to the NW,
NE, SE and SW-the main 4 directions from here.  In MB, you likely already
know the bearings you would like.

YMMV+gl

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey